Do You See Kids?
Keeping your child’s smile healthy is just as important as scheduling regular checkups with their pediatrician. By doing so, you’ll help them build confidence and develop the habits needed for lifelong oral health. And just as importantly, identifying any issues early will help prevent additional trips to the dentist for fillings and other restorative procedures. Red Bank Smiles is proud to offer comprehensive children’s preventative dentistry that covers all aspects of dental health to ensure your child’s smile remains bright and beautiful.
Starting Off on the Right Foot
If you have just had a child, you may be wondering when it is time for their first dentist appointment. It is generally recommended that you take your child for their first preventative dental exam before their first birthday, or right after their first tooth erupts, whichever comes first. After that initial visit, exams should be scheduled every six months for two trips a year. This interval allows any problems that may arise to be caught early and handled before any serious developments. However, if there is an emergency, make sure to take your little one to the dentist as soon as possible.
Services We Provide
Our preventive dentistry exams involve several components that encompass every part of your child’s dental health. The children’s services that we offer include:
- Physical Exam: One of our caring staff members will inspect their teeth, gums, soft tissue, jaw joint and supporting muscles for any decay, erosion or sensitivity.
- Cleaning: Your child’s teeth will be scraped with a scaler to remove any buildup, then polished with a paste and electric brush. This will help remove any bacteria that can lead to cavities or plaque.
- X–Rays and Photos: While there will be fewer X-rays than an adult’s preventive exam, being able to see what the human eye cannot is important. These photos help track the progress of developing teeth, see the roots of a tooth and identify cavities.
- Oral Cancer Screening: The mouth will be checked for any bumps, sores, discolored patches or any other anomaly that may indicate the presence of oral cancer.
- Sleep Apnea Screening: Teeth can be a sneaky indicator of poor sleep. Our staff will check for worn down teeth due to grinding at night and gum irritation that can be a sign of sleep apnea caused by swollen tonsils or adenoids.
At-Home Dental Care
While our children’s preventive dentistry services provide ample care to maintain healthy teeth, good habits are built at home. Starting when your little one is an infant, washing their gums with a washcloth or soft brush will help remove debris and buildup. Once your child is three years old, introduce them to toothpaste and work with them to learn how to brush. Everyone, not just kids, should brush twice a day for at least two minutes. The best times to complete this are first thing in the morning and right before bedtime. Set a good example by brushing with your child and making it a fun activity. Once your child is around five years old, encourage them to use sugar-free gum or other products featuring xylitol, which helps slow the rate of tooth decay in their mouth, and works for all ages.
Flossing can be more difficult for little hands to coordinate, so help them with this task until they are around ten or eleven years old. If you prefer, pre-strung flossers are an excellent tool and easier to use than normal dental floss. Your child should floss at least once per day. The time of day does not have an impact, so encourage them to do so whenever they have time. Make your children’s trips to the dentist quick and easy by building good habits.
Keep Them Smiling
Get out in front of any potential dental issues before they become more serious. Through our preventive dentistry procedures, your child’s smile will be kept clean and healthy. Call Red Bank Smiles today at 732-741-1052 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Klayman, and browse our other services to find the care needed for kids and the whole family.