If you or your child are getting dental sealants, rest assured that the team at Red Bank Smiles makes the process quick and easy, about 60 seconds per tooth. Here’s what to expect:
- Teeth are cleaned and dried
- An acidic gel is placed on the teeth to rough them up, so that the sealants can bond correctly
- The gel is rinsed off after a few seconds
- Your teeth are dried again
- The sealant is painted on the back teeth
- A special blue light is used to harden the sealant
The entire process is painless, so there’s no need to worry about discomfort. They can be done by your hygienist at your exam and maintenance visits, so there is no need for an additional appointment. Dental sealants can be white, clear or slightly tinted, although clear sealants are preferred when early stage cavities are present. This allows the dentist to monitor the tooth over time. Once the process is complete, sealants will last for several years, at which time your dentist may recommend reapplication.